Monday, March 29, 2010

Conferences

Thursday was Green Bay Primary/Intermediate's student and parent conferences. I was really excited to be a "teacher" during the conference process because I want to get to know my students' parents. The set-up was different than I have ever experienced. The students led the conferences because the focus of the time with the parents and students were not to analyze student progress, but rather to set goals for the upcoming terms. Each student had to introduce the teachers to the parents, layout the goals they want to accomplish the rest of the year, and then let the adults ask questions. It was fascinating to see how each student approached the facilitating position. Some students took it very seriously and laid out the goals and others relied on the adults to pry for information. I had the wonderful opportunity of meeting some "difficult" parents, however I felt very comfortable and confident discussing subject manner in those cases. Thursday was a very long day because I was at school until 8pm, however the conferences only lasted 10 minutes each so it was a very busy time. I think it would be useful to have longer conference times, however, when the students are organized and take ownership in their learning then the adults do not need a lot of time to discuss with oneanother.

Once conferences were over it really hit me that I am leaving so soon. Also, I realized how invested I became in the students' lives and care about them as individuals. Sometimes it is hard for me to really have these feelings when the students are all together and there is "chaos" in the classroom. It is nice to take a step back, view each student as an individual learner, and then reflect on how they are developing personally and academically. I really care about the students and it will be hard to part from them.

No comments:

Post a Comment