Thursday, March 18, 2010

Can't stop smiling!




I included pictures from my climb up Rangitoto. The view of Auckland from that height was so spectacular. Also, who can say that they have stood on lava? What a once-in-a-lifetime experience!

This week I have learned that because I surround myself with children it is inevitable that germs will surround me too. I have been diligent in washing my hands, but those feisty germs got a hold of me. I have a sore throat and pretty nasty cold, however, my life as a teacher continues to move forward and I am fighting through it. It is quite interesting to see how kids react when they find I have a minimal voice. This handicap taught me that whispering to get students' attention is more effective than yelling or talking over them. I hope to fight through this sickness through a lot of rest. I have two weeks to fight it off. I do not want to experience this during a 14 hour plane ride home.

The weather is changing from hot and sunny to cold, windy, and a little gloomy. Fall has arrived in Auckland. Students and teachers are now wearing many layers because it is hard to predict how warm or cold the day will be. I hear that spring is arriving back home, which makes me really excited. Soon I will be able to escape the cold weather and experience the excitement of spring in Wisconsin.

Today I had a really exciting teaching moment. Bre is teaching in a Year 3/4 classroom, which has 6,7, and 8 year-olds and we both decided that it would be wonderful for my Year 7/8 students to partner up with them. Reading is the focus of this "buddy" partnership. Bre and I paired the students up based on who we thought would collaborate well together and encourage one another socially and academically. I spoke with my class about what it means to be a role model before the students met, which really helped my Intermediate students to understand the importance of proper and positive behavior. We also spoke about what this reading time should look, sound, and feel like so that they were sure to know what we expected this exciting experience to be like. Each student brought books that they were reading and shared it with their partner. Bre and I also provided a special basket of books that the partners could choose from so that they could each read to one another. I was so proud of how my older kids acted with their young reading partners! They were very encouraging and nurturing towards the Year 3/4 students. I couldn't stop smiling because the learning that was going on was so precious! I can't wait to see these new friendships grow and for their confidence in reading to improve.

This weekend Bre and I are going to the capital of New Zealand, Wellington! We are talking a brief 1 hour plane ride to the city. There are museums and governement buildings that we may check out. I am most excited to ride the cable car that goes through the city!

No comments:

Post a Comment