Wednesday, March 10, 2010

Another Week

Weeks fly by! It is wonderful to stop, take a step back, and reflect on what is going on in the school. Behavior continues to be a focus in room 12. At times I feel frustrated because there is so much amazing content that I want the students to learn in fun, amazing ways, however this continues to be placed on the backburner. Content can't be covered when students first need to learn how to act appropriately and my classroom teacher is focused on forming and repairing relationships this term so that learning can begin later on. I never thought that teaching kids this age would be such a challenge, however, everyday I am working on classroom management so that it is a safe learning environment.

I am really excited because I am having a police officer come into the class tomorrow to talk about the effects of bullying. Students need to see how serious bullying is and that students must choose to break the cycle of bullying. We will begin our anti-bullying commercials next week. I hope students are as excited about this as I am. I really want students to embody that they can change the bullying that is occurring at Green Bay Primary.

My teacher and I are working on creating a maths tumble which will help students take responsibility for their learning. It will include teacher instruction time, activities, practice, and games. My goal is to have students become dedicated to their learning by monitoring their progress and understanding. Having four different maths groups learning different things is difficult for me to organize and I am working towards complete control and organization. I like that students are working in small groups in their ability levels, however as a teacher I must be an organized facilitator to make it all happen.

This weekend Bre and I will be going to Rangitoto Island, which is near Auckland. We will explore the volcano and hike up it. I am really excited to that I will stand on a REAL volcano, what an experience!

No comments:

Post a Comment